I not only get a big sweet tooth I also get this urge to bake. I love to just bake some doughy goodness but I don’t like the eating it part. It usually does not go along with the healthy eating habits I struggle to maintain. I found a bit of a compromise. I had plenty of calories left to make room for this. I am not saying I am going to eat this EVERYDAY but every now and then will due. I am freezing all of the left overs in order to keep myself from making this my breakfast lunch and dinner. :O)
Heavenly Angel Food Cake
I used Splenda’s recipe and added strawberries and lite whipped topping. It turned out good and all together was 220 calories. Here is what I did… (you can put all of these ingredients in My Fitness Pal and it will calculate it all up for you.)
This was very yummy and my kids ate it up. This was the perfect desert that I didn’t have to feel guilty about.
Splenda’s Heavenly Angle Food Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- Frozen strawberries
- Lite Whipped Topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar and vanilla extract. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking and light corn syrup.
- Sift flour and cornstarch 2 times into another large mixing bowl. Add 3/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking to flour mixture, stirring until blended.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites. Fold gently. Repeat procedure three times with the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading batter evenly in pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air bubbles.
- Bake on lowest rack in oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Invert tube pan; cool cake in the pan for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula; remove cake from pan.
- Put frozen strawberries in microwave safe bowl and microwave them for 1-2 minutes until they are soft and warm. This causes them to get all juicy which is just what you want.
- Slice the strawberries up and put them on top of the serving of angel food cake and add the whipped topping.